23 January 2014

Big boy eating


First off, sorry for the absence this week. The days have literally just flown by, which means I have lots of posts coming this weekend. I feel like I have a million things to say, but I am really trying to organize and not just throw it into one long blah, blah, blah blog post deal. Anyways, Silas is officially on the road to eating some solids. At 9 months old we finally feel like he's ready. We tried a few things when he was 6 months, but it just felt waaaay too early to be doing it. He gagged. Threw up. It was not fun. And yes, I know a lot of people start then, but for us it wasn't right. And I'm just not too keen on pushing him to grow up, yah know? The last couple weeks though he's been so interested and I love giving him bites of things. Of course, I am limiting it to fruits and veggies only. No dairy. No meat. No grains (he tried some organic cheerios, but they got stuck on the roof of his mouth). I usually make a kale smoothie everyday and he has been into those for a month or so now so that has been a great segue into trying some different things in the last couple of weeks. I love that babies are born with such a clean slate. I want to make sure that Silas has a chance to have the cleanest diet that I can provide for him, especially since all he has ever had is breast milk up until this point. 

Organic kale, pears, and green peas. Plus, adding in a RAW probiotic to help his belly during the transition to solids. (I also use this brands pre-natal and I LOVE them)
This was the face he made when trying a cheerio...hilarious.
I call this one "Avocado Trance". P.S That shirt was completely ruined.

It's exciting to see him try new things. I wanted to make his food, that much I knew for sure...but I wasn't really wanting to jump into that until I knew he was ready. So this week I bought a few pouches of mixed baby foods by Earth's Best. I love this brand. It's a part of the Non-Gmo project which I have been trying to support as best as I can by buying products labeled with their symbol at my local grocery store (F U monsanto!). Silas LOVED these. It gave me the confidence that he was ready to go ahead with the solid thing and to make some of my own. I can't wait to get creative with different flavors. I have decided to do both purees and some chunkier solids. We started this venture with peeling whole apples and letting him naw on them. The same with carrots and pears. It let him experience a new flavor without forcing him to swallow a spoonful of something. I found that going the spoon feeding route was a little too shocking to his pallete and usually resulted in a major vomit episode. I am super excited for my bebe to join my hubby and I at the table for dinner and I am so happy that we have let it become a fun and gradual experience rather than a forceful one. We are still doing lots and lots of breastfeeding and I am in no way looking to replace any of that with solids yet. "Food before one is just for fun" is our motto around these parts! Bon appetite little ones! xo

No comments :

Post a Comment