02 February 2014

The most amazing cupcake ever


Yeah, I said it. These cupcakes are amazing. And easy. And sure, they aren't super pretty when you don't bake them in a liner, but whatev. My quest for a delicious vanilla cupcake came one day when I was super, super pregnant and craving that fluffy, frosted goodness. I love the texture that box mixes yield, but I am not a fan of the 18 item ingredient list. So, I set off on a googling adventure and to my amazement found these perfect vanilla cupcakes. I have made a few tweaks to the original recipe (which are noted) due to the fact that I hate having specific, for that recipe only, items in my pantry. I improvised and they still came out fantastic.


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups cake flour (I use all purpose and then up the baking powder meansurement)

1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder (2 teaspoons if using all-purpose flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk (or, 1/2 cup milk with 1tsp of acid, like white vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit aside for 5 mins prior to using)


The original recipe says that you will get 15. I never get that, nor do I ever get the 12th damn one filled!

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350. Either line your cupcake tin with liners or what I did was oil with a brush and then dust with flour. I suggest using liners though. Pour in batter about 2/3 of the way. Bake for 12-14 mins. Take out and let cool for a few mins and then transfer to a baking rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: Chocolatey almondy
Frosting is easy to make and I do not complicate it here. Mix 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) with about 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 3/4 cup of cocoa powder. Add in about 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp of almond extract. Mx with an electric mixer. Add milk to achieve that fluffy frosting consistency.
If you try these I would love to know what you think! Happy baking, xo.

3 comments :

  1. They turned out perfect! Just like you momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me blush! ;) I want to try and make these vegan! What is a good substitute for eggs???

      Delete