05 March 2014

A trip to the mitten




It was brought to my attention this week that I always seem to go home for a visit during the winter. After this was said, we recounted my past visits, and yes...they are always during the winter. Never. again. According to the very much respected elders (haha) in my family, this is the worst winter in Michigan since the 50's. I believe them. It was pretty much impossible to step outside for more than a second the whole 12 days we were there due to the negative temps. And the dryness. Ooooommmmgg. I could not stop complaining about it. Oh yeah, did I mention we got the flu? Yup. The flu. Regardless of all of these ridiculously inconveinent things I really cherish my time when I go home and it was even more special this time around because it was Silas's first trip to the Mitten. Sure, we didn't get to play outside or go do some of the things that were on our list, but he met my amazing girlfriends, hung out with my nieces and my brothers, and lounged around with my mom for 12 days. I call that a good trip. I have made the decision that Michigan visits will only be for summer time from here on out.


Let's get to all of those pictures....

I think every parent is scared for what is going to happen on their child's first flight. I was no exception, but this kid rocked it. A flight attendant at the end of our first flight said she didn't even know he was there. On our flight home the people around me told me they were so impressed. Proud mama over here!
This is what he did. The whole time. Well, and try to pull the ladies hair in front of us but that was a one time deal.

Seeing my girlfriends is a major part of my going home. Some of them I have known since elementary school! I feel so grateful and lucky to have a group of girlfriends who know me so well and would be there for me at the drop of a hat, regardless of the distance between us. We get together and it's like no time has passed and I think that is a tell-tale sign of everlasting friendship.

There were a few nights after Silas went to bed where I finally was able to relax. Fire on, shitty reality TV, and a fridge full of beer. It was heaven.
My mothers house makes me swoon. It's an enormous ranch that she and her fiancee renovated. Can I get a dual fireplace in my house please?
Silas was a teething mess during our trip. He is currently getting the top two and bottom two teeth at the same time. His gums are swollen and he was pretty much attached to my hip the entire trip which made the whole thing extremely exhausting. He's pretty cute though so I forgive him ;)

The two seconds that we were able to get this kid out for some air. 
Bundled up and watching Sean (my moms fiancee) shovel 8 inches of ice off the deck.
Ahhhh yes. My love. Iced Cap from Time Horton's is the only way to end a trip to the mitten.

So aside from Silas teething and all of us catching the flu, our time in the Mitten was amazing. I'm missing my loved ones so much already and I can't help but feel so lucky to have them. We are already looking forward to some Michigan Summertime in July!





2 comments :