06 March 2014

What Silas eats


 In the beginning of introducing solids to Silas i couldn't help but feel like it was becoming a burden. Getting him to try things, watching him closely to make sure he didn't choke, dealing with the puke episodes that sometimes occurred. It turned me off to the whole thing. I'm happy to report that it's a different story now. I really enjoy thinking of new things that he can try and it's exciting to know that I am giving my child the best nutrition possible. My guidelines for his "meals" are simple: whole foods, organic, no additives (sugar, salt, and if oil; coconut). I love putting together a little plate for his dinner. While we haven't really got the whole chew/swallow thing down, he's learning and experimenting with flavors and that is really all I care to accomplish with  our meal time. And somedays are better than others when it comes to this. There are days where we forgo the solids and that's fine with us. He is still breastfeeding on demand so I am not worried about his calorie consumption when it comes to eating and i think that has made this whole experience less stressful.

steamed carrots - mango - sauteed kale w/ garlic
sauteed spinach in coconut oil - raspberries - peas

Some things I do to make it easier for Silas's dinner time are using frozen organic veggies. This has been a life saver. Add it to a pan with a little water and heat them up and you've got a healthy option for them to eat. I've been experimenting with giving him some cooked greens as well. Cooked greens are a little harder to chew/swallow since he doesn't have any teeth so it's something I monitor closely when he's eating it. 

We haven't really gone the traditional route with introducing solids. We started at around 9 months and I didn't introduce one food at a time for 3 day increments. No purees either. I say go with what you feel is right, don't rush it, and let it happen naturally. If Silas doesn't like something I don't shove it down his throat. I might try it again the next day or even wait a couple weeks. I don't want to raise a picky eater so I am all for experimenting with flavors (we put cinnamon in his oatmeal). I also enjoy picking at his plate and taking bites of it myself. I feel it encourages him to go for it.  


You can read more on Silas's eating here.


No comments :

Post a Comment