18 June 2014

Red curry lentils


Wow. That is what I have to say about this dish. My mind was blown. So easy. So delicious. I made a slight change to the recipe which I noted. It can totally be made vegan, although I went the non-vegan route. This is a must make recipe. You will not regret it!

Ingredients


  • 4 cups regular brown lentils (I used 2 cups green, 2 cups brown)
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger (I grated mine)
  • 4 tablespoons butter (optional)
  • 5 tablespoons red curry paste
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • 1½ teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 teaspoon sugar (I used 2 tablespoons of an apple chutney; amazing!)
  • a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
  • 2 cans tomato puree (29 ounces each) ---> (I used only 30 oz and then water)
  • 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
  • ½ cup coconut milk or cream
  • cilantro for garnishing
  • rice for serving


Directions

Rinse your lentils and put in crockpot. Dice onion, garlic and add to pot. Throw in spices and then add your tomato puree. Stir and then set it on high for 6hrs (I turned it off around 5). Throughout the cooking process, check back and add more water if needed. Around 4 hrs check for doneness. You don't want it to turn to mush! The lentils should still have texture, but definitely not crunchy or raw. Cook up some rice to serve with. I added a dollop of yogurt and cilantro on top and served with warm naan. Delicious and easy!

*original recipe can be found here. Changes have been noted

No comments :

Post a Comment