28 October 2013

give me grapefruit, or give me death


Recipe can be found here.

Shout out to my cuz Kristine for this little beauty of a recipe. This tart is ah-mazing. So fresh and so clean clean. For some reason when I first thought about making this, in my mind I was going to have to bake the grapefruit (what?!), but alas the only thing you bake is the tart shell which makes this so simple. The hardest part is segmenting those damn grapefruit pieces. It is worth every minute though, I swear. It's not a very "wintery" dessert, but if you are craving some sunshine you should have at this. Sunshine on a plate I tell ya'.

My own tart dough recipe

1 stick of butter
approx. 1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tbsp of sugar
2-6 tbsp of ice water (it depends on what the weather is like. seriously)

cut up butter into little cubes and throw into flour with the sugar. I use my fingers to "cut" the butter into the flour. the goal is to coat all of the flour in butter. it will get grainy and stick together somewhat when it is ready. add in the water 1tbsp at a time. You want just enough to where the dough forms a ball. wrap in some plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 350〫

Tart Filling

3-4 ruby red grapefruits
1 8oz container of mascarpone cheese
candied ginger
sugar

here comes the tedious task of segmenting. You'll want a sharp knife to get the job done. I cut off both ends of the grapefruit to expose the flesh. run your knife down the pith (the white part) so that you expose the membrane of the grapefruit. You want to get this thing completely naked for lack of a better word. When the white pith is all gone, carefully slice in between the segments. When you get a piece out you should lay it on a paper towel to dry off some of the juice so that your tart doesn't get wet. Onto the cheese. put the mascarpone in a bowl and after you segment your grapefruit you should squeeze the remaining juice into the mascarpone cheese, this will help thin it somewhat. I added about 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar to the mix. Chop up your candied ginger super fine. I'm not sure what the recipe calls for, but I did about 10 pieces...and then added more because I love that stuff! mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge. Pull out your tart dough, roll it out and put it in your tart shell. You are supposed to put some beans in the shell to keep it from puffing up, but I just poke a ton of holes with a fork and that works for me. Bake the shell until it's golden and crispy. Now you have to cool the shell completely before filling it with the mascarpone. At the suggestion of my lovely cousin Kristine, pile that grapefruit on! I like the free form look of it rather than arranging the pieces. Now please, go enjoy it and let me know how bomb it is.

No comments :

Post a Comment