11 March 2014

Elderberry syrup


I got pummeled with sickness while in Michigan a couple weeks ago. Let me tell yah, having the flu and taking care of/nursing a baby is pretty much the worst. After the flu I was lucky enough to then come down with one of the worst colds I've ever had. It all sucked. Not to mention that as a nursing mother there is not really much you can take. And then I discovered elderberry syrup. While in Michigan a friend who works at a badass health store mentioned that he took it. And it jogged my memory to when I came across this post from a blog I read. And THEN after declaring my sickness on facebook, a girlfriend mentioned that she made elderberry syrup. Obviously, all signs pointed to me taking/making elderberry syrup. And I did. I called two grocery stores and they did not carry these little dried berries. Next, I tried out a herb shop in my neighborhood and not only did they have every single herb known to man (which I will be back to check out), but they had my berries! So here yah go, a recipe to make your very own elixir. The shit in the store is expensive so I highly recommend making your own. My berries cost $2.25/oz. My raw, organic honey ran me $7.99. Everything else I had in my pantry. Cheers! xo




Ingredients:

2/3 cup dried elderberries
3 1/2  cups filtered water
2 T dried (or fresh) ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1 cup honey (raw, organic, local ----> this is all a must)



Directions:

Bring your elderberries, water, and spices to a boil and then simmer for about 30-40 mins until the liquid is reduced. Turn off and let cool completely. When the liquid is completely cooled add in your honey.

It's recommended to take about 1/2 tsp daily. I would up it to about 1 tsp if you were actively sick. Also, do not give to babies younger than one year as it contains honey.

No comments :

Post a Comment